Modified Taffy Blouse from Colette

During May I made a couple of new tops for this summer’s wardrobe.

Having made Colette’s Taffy blouse, from their book before I decided it was time for another one. This time I wanted a blouse that could be worn both to work and on a night out, so decided to make the sleeves slightly smaller.

I used the normal pattern pieces,  but reduced the length of the sleeves by about 2″ (~5cm). This reduced the fullness, and also reduced the fabric required meaning the whole top was made out of 1m of fabric.

image

The other modification was a fba to help it fit better.

As the top was made in chiffon I used french seams for the sides and arm wholes. The sleeves and top were heated using my rolled heam foot. I still find it quite tricky to feed the fabric into the foot evenly, but taking it slowly it went ok.

The neckline was finished with bias binding,  which I finished by stitching in the ditch. This was a new technique which I’ve used a couple of times recently. To ensure I didn’t stitch on the bias I used the centre guide of my foot to follow the edge of the bias, and set the machine needle half a notch to the side meaning the stitches were close but just off the bias tape.

Pleased with the results.

Advertisements

Colette meringue skirt with sorbetto top

I’ve just finished another outfit based on Colette patterns. The Meringue skirt from their Sewing Handbook plus the Sorbetto top which is available as a free download from their site.

image

The book as usual had good tips to follow.  The skirt is a basic A line skirt with an unusual heam. The tips to help you sew even scallops were great. It explained making a template and tracing the stitching line onto the underside if the heam facing. The instructions were a little confusing as it looked like the top section was your template but I cut a template that was basically the 5/8th seam allowance then lined this up with the edge of the fabric on each curve.

I’ve made the Sorbetto before however this time cut a size 8 rather than the 14 I did first time. As I’ve mentioned before Colette use their own sizes. I always struggle with any pattern to get the correct size. I measure myself but if I cut the pattern that matches my waist size it hangs off me….not sure where I go wrong. I normally base on bust size and see how it goes.

This outfit has top size 8, with skirt a 10 which is slightly loose.

Again using tips from the book, also on their website I made the bias binding to match the skirt and added a band to the heam.

I keep making other projects rather than finishing the dress to wear to my friends wedding. Think I’m nervous of working with the silk de chine. I’ve cut the main fabric …. and time is moving on so I’d best focus in it next so that it’s ready in time!

Colette truffle dress

I’ve made a few outfits from the Colette sewing handbook – http://www.colettepatterns.com. Each outfit I’ve made has worked well and I’m planning to make more from the book when I have time.

They have developed their own size structure, so you need to go with your measurements rather than usual size. I made size 6 – not my usual UK size!

The truffle dress is a lovely dress with a mock wrap front. For the black dress I added sleeves which don’t come with the pattern but I chose some I had from another pattern with similar arm holes.

image

In this one I played with a mixture of tulle and lining with the truffle under-lined in red.

A more casual summer dress was achieved by making it in cotton.

image

The pattern made up well, however needed a minor modification ob the back as it gapped at the neckline. For the cotton one I moved the zip to the side instead of the back which worked well.

Both dresses have been well admired.

Colette Taffy blouse and Harris tweed skirt

Thought I’d share a couple of recent projects. I made the Taffy blouse from the Colette  Sewing Handbook. This is the second thing I’ve made from the book. The other was the Truffle dress – but more about that later.

The blouse was made from chiffon and following other blog tips I decided to spray with startch to make it easier to sew. Great idea. French seems were easy to do.

As I’ve got an overlocker I used the rolled heam for the edge of the sleeves and the heam – gives a nice wavy effect.

The project wasn’t without mistakes – I sewed the darts on the wrong side of the fabric and with chiffon being so fragile I decided to leave them. Became a design feature instead!

image

Paired with the top is a Harris tweed skirt made using Butterick B5619. Nice A line skirt with a band at the top. Hardest part was matching the plaid.