Butterick B5922 – Summer Top with Peter Pan Collar

As the warmer weather approaches I thought it was time to expand my collection of summery tops, suitable to wear to work. I decided to try out Butterick B5922, which I hadn’t used before. It’s a basic T-shirt style, with options to add an overlay, collars or sleeves.

I opted for the sleeveless version, with a peter pan collar all in the same matching light weight jersey.


Although this was a basic pattern, I did have a few challenges. The pattern is for fabric with a slight stretch, and is designed to have no darts. As I usually require a FBA I added a slight amount to each of the side seams to give the top a little more room. To be honest, I prefer my patterns which have proper shape via darts/princess seams.

The other challenge was that the instructions were for a felled seam around the collar to make sure the edges were finished nicely. My usual technique would have been to use the overlocker, then topstitch to hold the seam allowance down. However I decided to try out the felled seam, which I found quite tricky, and didn’t manage to catch in all of the seam once I’d taken out my basting stitches. Worth trying, but think I’ll stick to the overlocker technique next time.

The final change I made to the pattern was on the back opening. The instructions were for two hook and eyes, one at the top of the slit and one on the collar. Not quite sure how the collar would sit to hook together – mine is quite angled apart. I also found that the top gaped quite badly at the slit, so I decided to add two buttons instead of hooks and eyes, one near the top and one in the middle of the slit.


As I’d already sewn to slit, I created thread chains to make the button loop, which I thought was nice a delicate for such a light weight top. I followed the tutorial on Oliver & S’s website  which showed step by step pictures on how to make a delicate thread chain. The only point I’d draw attention to is that once you start the loops, you don’t actually use your needle to create the chain. The first one I did I tried to use the needle, then realised that I’d misread the instructions. I’ve found this technique really handy and have used more than once since seeing this.

For fun I used contrast buttons.

Quite pleased with the top, and suitable for work in the warmer weather.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s